Guidance from professional bodies
- The BMA has produced guidance for GPs and practice managers, which can be read here.
- The Royal College of Nursing had produced information and resources which can be read here.
- The General Pharmaceutical Council has produced guidance for its members which can be read here.
- Social Work England has information and resources for social workers which can be read here.
- The Health and Care Professions Council has information for its members which can be read here.
NHS guidance on responsibilities under the Mental Capacity Act has been published for ‘Practitioners Delivering a Covid Vaccination Service to Care Homes’. Click here to download.
The Department of Health and Social Care has produced additional Mental Capacity Act guidance on Best Interest decisions when ‘Offering a vaccine to someone who lacks the relevant mental capacity’. The full guidance can be read here.
Essex Chambers has produced a ‘Rapid Response Guidance Note: Vaccination and Mental Capacity (First Update) December 2020’. The full guidance can be read here.
Norfolk and Waveney Health and Care Partnership has developed a useful flow chart for practitioners ‘Determining Ability to Consent to a Vaccination’. Click here to download.
The Safeguarding Adults National Network has designed a ‘Vaccination Assessing Capacity to Consent Form for assessors. Click here to download.
MENCAP has designed an Easy Read leaflet giving information on the vaccine which can support mental capacity conversations. Click here to download.
Last Updated on 17 November 2021